Tuesday, January 25, 2005

THANKS BRIGITTE

The learning journey continues...

My colleague (and friend) Brigitte mailed me from Wavre, Belgium last week to introduce me to the very latest in communication tools, SKYPE

It is a great new P2P (person-to-person) vehicle that allows you to actually talk to your friends and colleagues through your computer.

Registration is FREE and talking to other SKYPE users is also FREE. You can see when they are online (just like with IM - instant messaging) and if you link it through your NetMeeting facility can see them via your webcam, just like having your own large videophone. Calls to non-SKYPE lines wherever they are in the world is really cheap and you can buy credits (in euros) online.

You will need a microphone and your computer will need either built in or free standing speakers, but apart from that, downloading takes just a few minutes and you're away.

So back to Brigitte, my colleague at the European Consortium for the Learning Organisation, well she and I can now have regular update chats (the FREE bit comes in handy when we do one of our 45 mins calls) and I can also have conference calls with my other ECLO ECLO Board member colleagues aswell.

Why not try it for yourself?

Józefa
The POL Experience

No comments: